Friday, January 1, 2016

Free Birds: A New Year's Resolution

Silvery threads of steel wove together, connecting at geometrical angles, strengthening the web. It stretched from one wall to the staircase blocking my entrance from the front door into my home. Plotting on a solution my eyes cast left and right, up and down. Creatures were stuck and tangled in the intricate patterns. A bird up high was wrapped in a silk cocoon, lifeless, no chance there. However, I saw several others fluttering, pulling, anxious for help to break free. A duck yanked, using it's bill for leverage. The vile eight legged creatures were strategically crawling upwards, the duck in their sights. I panicked. Grabbing a section of web I lunged and twisted, spiders fell on the hardwood below. My laced tenny's worked with a mind of their own squashing upon sight. I pulled through the silver blockade, freeing birds as their ropes of captivity tore around them.


Strange dreams often leave me considering the implications. Awaking this morning, the first day of a New Year, this dream hanging onto my conscious I reflect on the previous year and what is in store ahead. 2015 was one of the most difficult years I've faced(Click here to read the beginning of our story). Loss, grief, pain, dreams falling apart, a struggle to survive....however, it did end with me breaking through, though some of my hopes were strangled beyond help, others are light on the feathery wings of flying birds.

My resolution is to enjoy those flying birds. I have a baby bird nesting in my womb. We have made it to week 16, into the 2nd trimester, the safety zone. The pregnancy is going well, the wee one flutters around and reassures me. I'm falling in love with Noah, my first born, all over again, as I watch him develop a love for this new baby.
 I'm falling in love with Chris all over again too as I see him working so hard to be the best father and husband he can be. I'm a lucky girl to have two awesome guys in my life who love me. Our new little bird is blessed to have such love waiting for their arrival.

13 week ultrasound photos


I've been seeing on facebook all morning, my friends posting "Happy New Year tributes" with mentions that they hope 2016 is a better year for them. It's a reminder that my year wasn't the only tough one out there. We all have our times of entanglement. My hope for all is that you too will find the strength to free your birds. Let those that have hung in there fly away from their constraints. Get help pulling down the web that has you stuck in the entryway of a new place, a place of comfort, or a new opportunity. You have loved ones that want you to thrive and fly. Here's to 2016, a year of breaking out of snares, tackling goals, and recovering from capture.

Galatians 5:1
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. 

For the belly fanatics; 16 week belly

"Bird's Eye View" 

2 comments:

  1. 2015... I fell in love. I watched my beloved grieve for his sister, gone before her time. I watched my dear daughter go through such pain and anguish that I could not help nor heal, and it was torture. I made a couple of amazing road trips, hiked to the medicine wheel, kissed my mother goodbye for the last time, felt the deep, deep loss that comes with becoming an orphan. I've gotten to know (at least virtually) a whole new family. I got married! And I've watched you, my love, heal, bloom and grow. I am so happy in your joy! This new little life growing in you is the miracle of love and perseverance. 2015 was the joy of love, the pain of loss, the relief of healing, the contentment of resolutions. It was life! That is what life is made of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A year of lots of change for many. I have often found myself so consumed with how my life is going, that I have neglected to remember other people's grief and joys.
      Life is made of some difficult and wonderful things isn't it?

      Delete